Can You Scrap clothes Hangers?
Clothes hangers are ubiquitous household items, yet the rules on how to properly dispose of them remain unclear. The rule of thumb is that you shouldn’t recycle clothes hangers by putting them in your standard recycling bin, as the curved end can get stuck on recycling machinery further down the line. In this article, we’ll discuss the best ways to dispose of your metal, wooden and plastic clothes hangers.
How to recycle metal clothes hangers
Metal clothes hangers, also known as wire hangers, cannot be recycled in a standard recycling bin. This is because the hooked end can damage recycling machinery.
They can, however, be recycled through scrap metal recycling. Wire hangers are typically made of steel and can be thrown in with your pile of steel scrap metal like any other steel item. By scrapping your metal clothes hangers at a reliable local scrap metal dealer, you’ll even be able to earn some extra cash.
How to recycle wooden clothes hangers?
Wooden clothes hangers are usually treated with a special type of varnish to make them more attractive. Unfortunately, this varnish makes the wooden clothes hanger unsuitable for standard recycling.
- Some local councils may operate a specialised clothes hanger collection service; look online to see whether you are eligible.
- Many charities or dry cleaners will also be welcoming of spare wooden hangers if you wish to donate them.
- In any case, the metal hooked end can be removed from the wooden body of your clothes hanger and recycled at a scrap metal recycling dealer.
How to recycle plastic clothes hangers?
The vast majority of plastic hangers are made from polystyrene or polycarbonate. These types of plastic, along with the size and shape of the clothes hanger, make them extremely difficult to recycle.
Though you may be able to donate plastic hangers to some charity shops, repurposing them is another way to make use of your old plastic hangers. Consider these ideas for repurposing your plastic hangers:
- Attach a row of small hooks to the bottom of your hanger and use it as jewellery storage.
- Cut your hangers and attach them to a wooden board to use as a coat rack.
- Attach a hanger to your wall next to your front door to use as a key holder.
- Get creative! Use your clothes hangers to create artwork that can be displayed throughout your home.
It’s important to be wary of your carbon footprint when purchasing items. We recommend buying wire clothes hangers instead of plastic hangers, as these can be recycled at a reputable scrap metal dealer, making them much less harmful to the environment.
Hill Metal Recycling offers 24-hour domestic and commercial scrap metal collection to customers in Harlow, Hertfordshire and the surrounding areas. We have 25 years of experience in the industry and know exactly how to appropriately handle and dispose of all types of scrap metal, including the metal from all types of clothes hangers. If you’re interested in selling scrap metal to earn some extra cash and help the environment at the same time, get in touch with our experienced team today.